This is a question I have had to ponder today. Our sweet labrador Ani did something she shouldn't have today. We will chalk it up to her LOVE of chewing on things. Today, she consumed the entire contents of a 4 oz. bottle of Gorilla Glue. This is not good for dogs, or anyone really. Apparently Gorilla Glue expands in a dog's stomach making it impossible to pass. Paul rushed her to the vet and they took an x-ray. Sure enough it had expanded but had not made it to her intestines yet.
I got the phone call at work. "It's either put her down, or surgery. What do we do?" It broke my heart. All I could think about was she is only 2 years old! We can't just put her down. I can't imagine not seeing the boys play with her in the backyard anymore. Or have her wag her tail in pure joy just at my appearance. Just a month ago she stood by and guarded me and the boys at the Deso boat ramp while Paul ran the shuttle to get the truck. Making it impossible for anyone to come near us.
The surgery and 3 days stay at the vet's office is pricey. Both Paul and I are thinking 'we are going to have a baby soon and will have hospital bills to pay.' Paul has also been building a shed in the backyard (where she grabbed the glue from off the table). We just don't have the money to spend right now. So what do you do? Where do you draw the line between love of a pet, and money? Ya know what? There is no line, because you can't put a price on the joy she brings to our family. She is a part of us and we would do whatever it takes to keep her around for hopefully several more years.
9 comments:
If you guys need support, call Todd and Ashli. Their dog, Took, had surgery after getting hit by a car, and I'm pretty sure it was a hefty bill as well. It's a tough call. Sorry!
Awwwww, so sorry!! Poor little Ani!! I'm sure she'll pull through and all will work out just fine.
And I can't wait to see a little Newton girl!
All I have to say is She is WORTH every PENNY! You won't regret it! Think of it this way it could of been worse! She could of swallowed some nails or a hammer or I dont know a saw if that makes you feel anybetter!
OH Tiff... I am so gald that you chose to do the surgery! I think its always best to try all you can, and then when you have done it all, leave it in the Lords hands... yes even when it comes to pets! Love you, and good choice!
No doubt you guys did the right thing. All week when I drove by I would look to see if she is in her favorite spot under the tree and she wasn't there. Glad she is back. All your money concerns will work out. It's called faith and tithing and I know you guys have both.
Love ya.
Thanks everyone, Ani is home now and doing great despite a huge cone around her neck. She is eating and has lots of energy. The staff at the Vet's office all loved her and came out to see her home. Hopefully there won't be any infection and if you own Gorilla Glue, you should be warned apparently this happens all the time, it tastes like peanuts and maple syrup to dogs so keep it out of reach with the antifreeze:)
Glad Ani is home safe. Poor little punkin'.
Peanuts and maple syrup, that is making me hungry!!!
poor buddy. :( glad she's home safe and recovering with her family. next up, let's have a look at what's goin on inside your belly, tiff! :)
Post a Comment