Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jury Duty


Yip, 3 days of my past week have been spent on a Jury. What an experience. It was interesting, frustrating, and in the end emotionally draining.
The interesting part came from actually seeing the law in action. It is not like "TV lawyer shows". It actually takes A LOT of time. Let's just say that I read over 100 pages of my book. Some of the frustrating part was having my life interrupted, and having to deal with getting the kids situated while I was gone all day. ( Thanks to my mom, Paul, Michelle and Nancy for their help in that department! ) It was also frustrating as the defendant was defending himself. He was really quite intelligent. The frustration there was that he was claiming "not guilty by reason of insanity".
Then the emotional part came, after deliberating for 4 hours and also determining that he did not in fact fit the law's definition of "mentally ill". We, the Jury found him guilty on all four counts against him. It was hard to sit there, and watch as the clerk read our decision out loud. We then each had to verbally agree that that was in fact our verdict. I have to say that I felt bad for the guy, it's just not every day that you send someone off to jail for who know's how long. The sentencing hearing will take place in May. I am grateful for this experience, and that I was able to do my civic duty. I just hope it's a while before I have to do it again.

8 comments:

Kati said...

I have never been called to jury duty. I can't imagine how hard that is to literally have the fate of someone's life in your hands.
Crazy thought.
How are the patterns going? Need any help????
Kati

Grandma Nancy said...

You did a good job Tiffy. The Attorney's office was so excited to finally get this guy into a Jury Trial since he has been in jail for the past 5 years. It will be interesting to see what the Judge hands him at his sentencing hearing.

Now you can get back to a normal life if there is such a thing.

Heidi said...

Way to serve our country! Way to go Tiffy! You are awesome!

leslie said...

ohh, i got called for jury duty once..... and then i LOST the letter with all the details, so i never showed up. i thought they were going to hunt me down but i haven't heard anything. yet. i'm sure it'll come back to haunt me in some way, shape or form...

wild murdocks said...

What an interesting experience! It would make me nervous too. But it is an amazing system, no matter how flawed.

I left Noah's raven's nest prize at Janines, I was going to run it by, but kinda forgot in all the Easter mahem.

Hope Easter was fun for you all!

~~Heidi~~ said...

that would be so hard to have to do. Long days... but great job. Love you, and I hope, i don't have to do that anytime soon!

Grandma Karen said...

Tiff, you did a good job, and I'm proud of you for doing your duty, as inconvient as it was for you. I enjoyed having the boys, sorry I wasn't more help. I didn't realize he had already been in jail for 5 years. So he is probably more comfortable in there than out. You did the right thing.

michelle said...

Okay so I left a comment but It didn't leave it Hello. Okay so I said that I loved having your boys. We all had a blast anytime I will take them. And for the trial, I am glad it is over that was a long week for you! And always remember that he is the one that made the choices that he did. Free agency/

"there is nothing--absolutely nothing half---so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"--the wind in the willows