Monday, August 4, 2008

The Big East












Paul, Noah and Grandpa Rick went up East Mountain by Crandall Canyon for a day hike a few weeks ago.  They had such a good time that we decided to go again, and this time take the girls, Max and the dog, and go for an overnight camp-out.  
It is so beautiful up there, the wildflowers are gorgeous.  Wild Lupine, Columbine, Roses, Queen Anne's Lace, Delphinium, Larkspur, and Indian Paintbrush, to name a few.  My sweet Noah had brought me back his water bottle full of wildflowers.  He made sure that he picked a wide variety for a beautiful bouquet.  When the boys went they hiked all day.  But when we all went it was a little different.  
We got there around 5pm,  set up the tent, and fixed some yummy Dutch-Oven Chicken for dinner.  We watched the stars and some lighting way off in the distance.  (You can see forever up there.)  I got the kids to sleep.  Max woke up a few hours later complaining of stomach ache and that his head hurt.  I could tell he was feverish.  He was miserable all night long.  Paul and I did not get a wink of sleep.  We got up the next morning and poor little Max was so lethargic.  Paul fixed the famous mountain man breakfast.  We were all hoping that Max would eat something and feel better soon.  Well, not so much.  He yarked on my plate.  Poor little soul.  So Pauly packed up everything and we took off for home.  Noah stayed behind with Grandma and Grandpa to hike around.  Max had a temperature of 102 when we got home.  But thankfully it was just a 48 hour thing.  He is doing much better now.    

9 comments:

~~Heidi~~ said...

That is so sad, sorry that your breakfast was ruined. But i am glad you were able to have some fun before no sleep! camping is always hard with little ones. I love all the pictures, and I love the picture of you and Paul, you are so pretty Tippy!

leslie said...

oh poor little max. he looks so cute watching over the dutch oven. glad he is feeling better now. love all the photos!!!

creed said...

Pauly, Is that a road cutting right accross the top of Perkidan bowl? I've been nervous to go back down there and see the damage left behind by the mining rescue.

wild bri said...

I know Pollywog is a bad cook but he has never made me puke. Remind me to skip the "mountain man" breakfast. Sorry Max. Sad to see another piece of Wild Utah get roaded, I have avoided the Big East for awhile because I did not want to see the mayhem from the mine rescue. The road is supposed to get reclaimed, but SITLA (State Lands) wants to keep it open to access their lands above the trough to drill for natural gas and log. Hopefully it gets reclaimed and people stay off it and it slowly grows back in. Did you find any of Stevey boys Pepsis in the trough?

miranda said...

Kids throwing up while camping is the worst- poor little guy. Your wildflower pictures are beautiful and the weather looked so nice. I wish is were fleece wearing weather again!

~Jason and Heidi~ said...

Poor little fella! I am glad he is better. It looks gorgeous. Wow! Looks like so much fun.

wild murdocks said...

Such a beautiful place, and all the pretty wild flowers! I'm sorry the fun was cut short, but that's how it goes with kids. Nothing happens quite as you plan it to. I'm glad it was nothing serious. Great pictures!

michelle said...

Oh that is the worst! I hate it when you are away from home and your kids are sick. Glad he is better. and paul is better to. Lv you guys I love the pictures

Grandma Karen said...

Oh soooo gorgeous!!! Sorry it wasn't what you were hoping for as far as the family camp out goes. But at least you got a couple hours of beauty and quiet. I could just smell the flowers on that one picture! Thanks for sharing!

"there is nothing--absolutely nothing half---so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"--the wind in the willows