
What a sense of accomplishment! I did it! I ran the Hobble Creek 1/2 marathon with my foxy friend, of 16 years Leslie! We have known each other since 8th grade. We were inseparable for a large number of those years. So when I recieved and email in March, asking me if I was "in" to run a half marathon with her, I jumped at the chance!

It has taken oodles of preparation to work my way up to 13.1 miles. Thanks to Max and Noah for being such good boys in the jogger stroller and letting me get my runs in. Another thanks to my Mom, who would watch the kids on the longer runs so I didn't have to push the extra 100lbs. A big thank you to Paul who has given me much encouragement. Thanks to Leslie for running with me today, and giving me a power gel with caffiene at mile 11!

It was a beautiful day. We (me, Leslie, Joe-her hubby, and Heidi-her sis. in law) started by walking down to Mapleton Park to be bussed up the canyon. We found out that only 2 of the 6 buses hired to transport all of the 1200 runners up to the starting line showed up. So we decided to wait for one of the last buses knowing that if would be freezing up the canyon. The race was suppose to start at 7:30. By the time the other buses showed up at 7:10, we knew it would be a later start. When we got up the canyon it was freezing, and I felt sorry for all the people that had been up there for a good hour, just waiting. Les and I started in the front because as soon as we got to the starting line, they started the race. We took off! We were cussed at by "Barbie" in her bright orange sports bra with her big fake boobs and perfect tan for being in her way. Sorry B1TCharlie, go around!!

Our first mile was fast. 8min 30 sec. We both have been running around a 10 min mile so we were way fast. By the time we got to 4.5 miles, we were 36 min. into the race, still a little fast but feeling good. Running down the canyon and seeing the leaves starting to change, and crossing over Hobble Creek several times was a great way to take your mind off of the race! The miles seemed to pass by quickly. When we got to mile 9, I was starting to feel it. We pressed on, by mile 10 we had turned out of the canyon and were headed into Mapleton. It was a big hill. My thighs were on fire! I could tell my body was getting a little tired. At mile 11, we decided to gel it up, giving us a little sugar and caffiene boost to carry us through to the finish line. It worked! My legs felt better in a few minutes, and we kept it up.

Down at the end of main street in front of the old city building, I could see my beautiful Mom, my gorgeous sister, Michelle and my sweet little Max. It was so fun! They were jumping up and down and cheering! I was so happy to see them. To know that they were there to support me. They hooped and hollered and cheered us through the intersection. We were headed for the finish line. With Leslie by my side we kicked it up a notch to finish strong. 2:15:15! Yah Baby!



I am so stinkin' proud of myself! Seriously! What an accomplishment. Leslie, thanks again for putting a little fire under my seat! I am so happy we were able to do this together!

Thanks Michelle for the cute gift you gave me at the end. Love Ya!
12 comments:
The pictures bring it all back! The anticipation, the anxious, "hope she's doing ok" the joy of seeing you in the distance and seeing how strong you and Les were looking, and the emotional joy of such an accomplishment, and the reality that YOU DID IT!!!!!!! I am truly so proud of you!! That is something I will never accomplish, along with alot of other things you have already accomplished in your young life. Keep up the good work. Now....its on the Hawaii!! YIPEEEEE
that was susposed to be on TO Hawaii
I love the whole analogy. What a day I tell ya, you two ladies were booking it at the end. And the anticipation was literally killing me.(& mom) I was like is that her? no. Is that her? no. Is that, oh yeah!!! Thats when I ran down the street and broke out the pom poms baby. I was so glad to see you. I think it gave me and mom a sense of relief. Not that you couldn't do it, but that you didn't puke, or she-yitted in your roos, or that you didn't have to be brought in the last few on a streatcher.
you did awesome. You guys have bragging rights for sure. Now get packing lady & don't forget that tiger thong. lol love ya
So you brought me to tear Tippy, Great job, I am so proud of you. I know how hard you have been working at this, and wonderful job. I really wish i was there, it did make me a little homesick, but its so good to know I can give you all a great big hug in just about a week. YIPPPY. Seriously I am so proud, I was thinking about you in my sleep i promise, since we are 4 hr off, LOVE YOU BIG SIS! You are very inspiring!
You go girl.... I am so proud of you and of all the hard work you put into this run. It is a great accomplishment, something I will never do. Congratulations!
Noah Bug, good luck on your first day of school tomorrow.
Love you guys,
Your amazing! And you didn't even throw up at the end? Wow! Quite a feat! Is a marathon next?
Alina, yeah 13 miles vs. 26 hmmmm it's TWICE as far, and I know that I am halfway there, but it's still only halfway, so I am going to have to say no right now. I am still so sore!
Awesome job Tiff! Jared says that we're in for next year....um, maybe I'll be the cheerleader with the pom poms at the end, but seriously- great job! What a huge accomplishment!
Well Miss Fanny congrats! I'm so excited for you--how fun to get to run your 1st half with Les. The pictures of you two are great. I'm sorry I didn't get to stop by while we were in Utah. I'm always feeling a little crazy trying to balance all the family when we are there. We will have to get together next time. Congratulations on a great run!
well I'll be! I am so glad everyone loves my photo work . I tell ya it was hard, a few clicks here and there. I'm just glad some turned out. you guys ran so fast be me.
You are AWESOME Tiff! I am so proud of you! What an accomplishment. Now we can run on the beach together. Nothing better! Way to Go!
UMMMMM...I have decided that I want to join the Murray family and run on the beach too! Come on Grandma Karen...don't you need ANOTHER daughter????
Tiff...you have inspired me to start running again. Heidi...kick my butt it gear! Baby #3 kicked my butt! Well...made my butt bigger anyway.
Kati
Post a Comment